4.10.2012

They way you look doesn't always defines what kind of music you listen to.

I don't know about about the rest of the world, but in Brasil (at least at most of the cities), people really like judging and criticizing each other.
Julian and I are sick of it! Anywhere we go where there're people that doesn't know us they don't even bother asking his name. They look at me right away and ask me (right next to Julian), "Is he a GRINGO? Does he speak Portuguese?" And when I answer "Why don't you ask him? He's right here!" or if Julian answers "Não, não falo português não..." ('No, I don't speak Portuguese' in Portuguese), they get REALLY mad at us!!! It sucks.

When people look at me they see a girl with piercings, tattoos, make up... People here claim they are liberal, but they are actually extremely conservative. It's much more difficult for me to find a job or to be accepted in many social groups because of it. In their heads, I'm a hardcore crazy whore, a crackhead, a satanist...!!!
And something that really annoys me is that people get completely shocked when I say I don't like going out very much because I don't like crowded places, I rather stay home, making crochet, taking care of my garden, listening to Bossa Nova... They don't believe I'm a family girl, that I'm a normal married housewife!

My musical taste is the strangest thing in these people's opinion. I love listening to many different kinds of music, but BOSSA NOVA is really my favorite one!
Since I'm a baby I listen to rock and roll (mom and dad's influence) like The Beatles, Queen, CCR, Raul Seixas... When I was 13 I got addicted to heavy metal and other types of metal, and also rock n' roll, like Iron Maiden, Iced Earth, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Rammstein... And back then my favorite band was After Forever, and I loved gothic metal... That's why I studied singing for 6 years.
When I was 16 I started listening to black, thrash, death, doom metal... I became really extreme for a while. My favorite bands were Death, Slayer, My Dying Bride, Moonspell, Cannibal Corpse...
But my favorite band of all times was Opeth... I still love it!

I still like all these music styles a lot. But I've been in a much stronger Bossa Nova - Samba - MPB phase right now. Elis Regina, Tom Jobim, Chico Buarque, Nara Leão, João Gilberto, Maysa Matarazzo and many others are my heroes at the moment.

And since I was a little girl, the most amazing singer of all times in the entire universe for me is ELIS REGINA. She sings with all her feelings, she is AWESOME!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVuFcHNH-7o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1tOV7y94DY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ciB0XwxE-Y

She can't help it and starts laughing when she sings a happy song, she cries when singing sad ones... she puts a lot of energy on what she sings!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35FPZR24djg

Unfortunately, she died in the 80's, of a cocaine overdose. :(

Have your music tastes changed? What are your favorite bands and singers?

1 comment:

  1. Bia dear .... I agree with you here in Brazil, people judge each other by what they see. Tonight here at home the matter was that, the pre-and jugamento that people make about others. especially religious people, who are better than others because they are inside a church following the one God, where they read a book every day and learn nothing of what they are reading. They preach a gospel that they do not. It is very difficult to live in the midst of confusing people who live in conflict with themselves. Here's harder every day, you know, I'm beginning to think that people here really have no way, is what you told me we try to change the world but the world is that ends up changing us!

    ReplyDelete